Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday July 2 - a beautiful day with friends thinking about lost loved ones

This afternoon I am sitting at our campsite in Gardiner Montana, after walking through much of the Mammoth Hot Springs with our group this morning. Today is a peaceful afternoon, enjoying the sun and the rushing Yellowstone River that is directly behind our tent. No kidding, there is three feet between our tents and the fence that stops us from falling down the bank and into a water gorged, fast moving river. It is still high enough in fact, that at least 4 different river rafting groups have rushed by on what we think is Class 4 waters. They are so busy staying in the boats that they are unable to even wave at us in the thirty seconds they are on the river in front of us.
While we have loved every minute of our trip, and thoroughly enjoyed the wonders of the National Parks we have visited thus far, I must admit that Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone is my least favorite to date. Part of my lack of enthusiasm for these springs is that there hasn't been any water rushing over the falls for almost 30 years. There are pretty rock formations, and small pools of very hot water, but the cascades are really just rocks that look like steps at this time. Maybe I will take my family back here in 30 more years and it will have reverted to its earlier state with tons of gallons of water rushing over the falls.
I have looked at maps a millions times, and my family knows that reading maps is not my strongest suit. Proof of this is that I must have looked at Yellowstone National Park a hundred times over the past years, and NEVER realized how enormous it truly is. We are spending a total of 6 nights here, 2 in Grant Village (South Entrance), 2 nights in Gardiner (outside Northeast entrance) and finally 2 nights at the Old Faithful Lodge.
All the campsites have had pros and cons to them, mostly pros. The views at each site have varied greatly, giving us plenty to look at all evening. The washhouses are never far, and all the stores (except this one) have sold ice for the coolers. We have found that there can never be too many quarters for laundry or showers, and we should take full advantage of those sites that have free showers! I did such a great job packing, that I find myself having to do some kind of laundry every other day. Not that much different from home. I guess clothes still get dirty on vacation.
Jean and I are really looking forward to the Old Faithful Lodge. Hotel - means beds, running hot water at our disposal, and air conditioning or heat (it tends to get a bit chilly for me at night and I have been wearing all my cold weather clothes to bed every night). It will be nice to pull out the slightly more dressy clothing too. While they aren't black tie or cocktail wear, they certainly haven't been pulled out of the suitcases yet, either. Of course, this will mean I will probably have to wash them too, as they may smell like the inside of our tent!
Today is the day my family is laying Mark to rest in Pointe Claire, Quebec. I am completely torn about being here, versus being with my family at this time of tragedy. Diane, Bob and Evan, although I am not with you in body please know that throughout this last week, and especially today - you have all filled my every thought. I miss you terribly, and want you to know we are all filled with sorrow at your loss, and ours. When we get back, we will gather together to celebrate the beautiful life Mark had, and remember fondly all the fabulous times. And indeed, in time we will begin to create new memories to send to Mark in heaven so he can share our joy with us until we meet again.
May peace find you tonight and for all the next nights to come.
Love, Michelle, Dave, Nicholas and Carissa

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking time to write and the posting of the pictures.

    Enjoy the nice change at the Lodge. When bonnie and I camped it was a welcome change and a great boost for continuing the trip.

    Grampatewks

    ReplyDelete