Monday, June 6, 2011

Excitement Builds

Even Nick is starting to get excited about our trip! He is the final one to buy into this grand adventure. To him it was to be an exercise in parental torture, added with sibling annoyance and a "too much walking can't be good for you" attitude. With the assistance of just about every adult we know, Nick has turned the corner and is beginning to look forward to seeing National Parks and San Francisco.
I am completely packed and ready for takeoff. Dave, not so much. He told me today what he still needs to pack - so I will get those things this week. Luckily, he is a guy, and he is able to hand over the reins (read: wallet) when it comes to filling a suitcase with appropriate attire for temperatures ranging from 110 to 35 F. Hope he likes pink plaid bermuda shorts and orange striped polo's!!
Folks at work are helping me out by lending books on parks and areas to visit - and really what they are doing is helping me to think more about my trip than I should be during the work day!! It is becoming increasingly difficult to focus on the important things, so I have taken to wearing a rubber band on my wrist to snap whenever I see I am off task. I have quite a bruise to show for it too!
When all is said and done, I am very thankful to have a career that I love at an organization that supports this wonderful trip of a lifetime. While I look forward to leaving and traveling, it is never painful or upsetting to come back to work.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously guys, I don't know 6 other people I'd want to live in a tent with for even a weekend! I know, I know, that's just one of my character flaws, but still... Have a terrific time; sort of like the Conestogas but with bug spray, e-notebooks, wifi, occasional hot water showers, and a kind of in-door plumbing! Happy trails! Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packing Tip - throw in a few zip lock bags multiple sizes. great for packing wet bathing suits, portioning out kid car snacks, saving stale bread for ducks, collecting treasures like pine cones, pebbles, seashells, etc., store first aid items, marinade dinner in, use as car sickness bag, and a seemingly endless host of possibilities. Lisa Patry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome beginning to a great adventure. Thank you for the descriptive narrative of what has happened to date. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the latest update. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you process the loss of a loved one. Say hi to my side of the family that is tripping with you.

    Grampatewks

    ReplyDelete