Monday, June 27, 2011

Heavy Heart and Peaceful Prayers

It is with a terribly heavy heart that I write this afternoon.  I learned early this morning that my closest cousins lost their 21 year old son, Mark, in a terrible car accident yesterday morning.  Mark was the very best of us.  Kind, wonderful, funny, handsome, athletic, loving.  It is far too early to have to feel the grief of losing such a phenomenal young man.  He leaves his mother, Diane (my favorite cousin and godmother), his father, Robert (a stellar man without fault) and his little brother, Evan (loving, funny and my godson).  My heart truly is breaking for this family, as a closeknit unit and as a whole we will be lost without Mark.  It would be our honor to have our children grow up to be the kind of man that he had become.  I love and miss you already, Mark.  May God shine upon you, and maybe you can look in on your mom and dad and brother, and even the rest of us once in a while and shine on us.

I learned of this horrible, heartwrenching news this morning on our way to Bryce Canyon.  At my cousins urging, we went on to enjoy the day, albeit with heavier hearts.  The canyons were breathtaking, the colors like a gift from above.  I found this to be very fitting as I visited Angels Landing and saw the enormity of what lay before me.  It was here that I prayed for the Bernotas and Prud'homme families.  It was here I said my first (of many I am sure) goodbyes to Mark, and thanked him for all he was able to teach us about being good in so short a time. 

Ian, Jean, Connor and Tressa were amazing as my family of four began the greiving process.  Carissa and Nick are suffering, as only children can - at the loss of such a friend.  Mark truly gave of himself whenever our family was in town.  He never denied them a game, a tussle, a swim, a joke or a smile.  My Nick and Carissa looked up to him, and still to his brother Evan, as hero's,  They saw with utter simplicity the joy that living a happy and kind life can bring to everyone around you.  They are incredibly saddened, and each time they shockingly remember this loss, it is with tears that they ask is it is true. 

While I did not find any answers in Bryce Canyon today about why we had to give Mark up to God so early, I did find a bit of peace.  The magnificence, the beauty and the feeling of greatness surrounded me and my family and gave us a bit of joy in a horrible situation.  I love you, Diane, Bob and Evan.  You are in my thoughts, my prayers and my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Your Stern Center family is thinking of you. So sorry to hear of your loss. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.....you're in my thoughts.....hugs, Colleen

    ReplyDelete